Default Windows settings can interrupt USB data streams. Follow the procedure below to prevent Windows from powering off USB devices.
1. Open the Windows Device Manager. The Device Manager can be accessed by right-clicking the Windows Start Menu and selecting the item from the contextual menu.
2. Double-click the Universal Serial Bus controllers branch in the Device Manager window. The individual USB controllers in the branch are displayed in a list.
The USB controllers branch in Device Manager
3. Double-click the USB Root Hub device in the branch list. The Properties window for the individual device opens.
USB Root Hub controller device in branch list
4. Click the Power Management tab within the device's Properties window. The power management options are displayed.
5. Uncheck the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option.
6. Click the OK button to activate the new setting.
Correct setting shown – "Allow" option is disabled in device properties window
7. Important: Repeat steps 3 – 6 for all individual devices that include "USB Root Hub" in its name.
Important: Repeat procedure for all USB Root Hubs